Residential mold removal is one of those tasks every homeowner will need to do at some point. Mold spores naturally exist in the air, and when they come into contact with moisture in your home's kitchen, bathroom, or basement, it's common for them to take root and grow.
While minor colonies of mold growth are simple to clean up and not much of a problem, large colonies of mold growth can be a significant health hazard. In addition, mold growing unabated in a basement or an attic can lead to structural damage to your home if it causes dry rot.
As a homeowner, you must know how to safely remove mold from your home without inadvertently spreading its spores or making yourself ill. To this end, here are some safety tips for residential mold removal:
Wear Safety Protection During Residential Mold Removal
When removing mold in your home, wear a mask and gloves. When cleaning up a large mold colony, you should wear safety goggles to prevent mold spores from getting into your eyes.
Never Mix Cleaners Containing Bleach and Ammonia
While both chlorine bleach and ammonia have their place in your cleaning supply cupboard, you must never mix the two. When combined, bleach and ammonia undergo a chemical reaction that makes a gas highly toxic to humans and pets. Cleaning in an enclosed space with a solution of bleach mixed with ammonia can be fatal.
Always Mix Chlorine Bleach With Cold Water
One of the least expensive and most effective ways to remove household mold is to mix a cup of chlorine bleach you use for your laundry in a bucket of water. When doing so, it is crucial to use cold water. Mixing bleach with hot water gives off chlorinated steam that is very toxic to your lungs.
Have Large Residential Mold Infestations Professionally Removed
Lastly, it is essential to note that large mold infestations should always be professionally removed. Large areas of mold growth are always a job for a professional mold remediation specialist. For example, if you have an entire basement wall that is growing mold, this is not a DIY mold removal. It would be best if you let the professionals tackle it. When you see large areas of mold growth, there are always other underlying moisture problems that need to be investigated and resolved.
Contact a local residential mold removal service to learn more.